Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Midnight Race

Thanks to basket-weaving Mike, 24 of us had a fantabulous weekend in Bangkok. Most of us did the typical Singaporean thing by quadrupling our luggage weight with clothes, shoes, accessories, snacks, and even cartons of mango. On the way to the airport we had a biggest-shopaholic-poll, and surprise winner Dorothy spent over a thousand Sing-dollars in just 2 days trekking around Bangkok. Shows that one can never beat the true blue bargain-hunting aunties.

Next to shopping, our favourite past time was exploring the spas. Thanks to big sis Na-na, we found an excellent day spa called Spa 1930, housed in a 70-year old home recognised as one of Bangkok's architectural heritage buildings. It was a house built for a prince, and I must say I felt like a queen with the 4-hand massage, so beautifully synchronised that it felt like a slow-motion Thai dance gently rubbing away all your worries. We also checked out Thann's the next day. It was pretty good, but lacked the ambience and personal touch of Spa 1930. We had a great time nonetheless, it was most hilarious to watch Mike frantically gesturing to us when he thought he was getting a male masseur, and then Mike showing up outside the room in a bathrobe.

The best memory of all was tuk-tuk racing down the midnight streets of Bangkok. While the rest of the folks continued their bargain-hunting at Sun Lum, Mike, Will, 3M and myself went to check out Khao San, the backpackers' heaven. A few jugs of Singha beer later (al fresco at Molly's with a nice big tree), we decided to ditch the cab and head back to the hotel in tuk-tuks.

As usual we bargained and got 2 tuk-tuks, each at 100 bahts. And with the usual evil glimmer in his eyes Mike waved a note to the tuk-tuk drivers and said the fastest driver would get an extra 50 bahts. Mike and 3M speeds ahead in the first tuk-tuk, and I congratulated myself for being smart enough to stick with Will and not daredevil Mike. Mike refused to give up and started waving a 100 baht note, egging both tuk-tuks on. Two traffic lights later our tuk-tuk driver finally got the message and revved up so abruptly that it felt as if our tuk-tuk was going to tip over backwards.

Speeding down the almost-empty streets at midnight was simply... glorious. Maybe it was the speed, maybe it was the Singha beer. It was as if we were racing with the streetlights that had suddenly come alive. The cool night breeze sent electrifying chills down our necks.

The colours of Bangkok melted into a wavy blur, curving and twirling in the nightsky like Van Gogh's starry night. Perhaps it was just my eyes flooded with beer. But perhaps it was the waves of our carefree laughter.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

that's a great story :D

EL Dragon said...

that was a real fun trip, we like the painting, Mi said she can feel the motions of the lights !

joc said...

Really like your colors!

EL Dragon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pandabonium said...

Sounds like great fun. I like the colors and brush strokes of your artwork. My wife and I are going to a friend's vernissage tomorrow near Tokyo.

I have a question I hope you can help me with. Well, a favor actually. You and I were both listed as "friends" on Bearbeardiary. When she recently switched to Blogger2, I could no longer access her blog. I miss the pictures she posted and we also have a small white dog and like to read about XiaBau.

At the time of change over I didn't have a gmail account but now I do. If you still bisit there, could you ask her drop me an email at PandaBonium@gmail.com and let me know what's up? If she'd rather not have me or my wife K visit for whatever reason that's OK, we'd just like to make sure it isn't a mistake due to the new blogger.

Okay? Perhaps I ask too much. If so, I'm sorry. If you can, we'd really appreciate it.

I'll delete this comment in a day or so. Thanks.

budgie said...

Pandabonium: I tried and have the same problem, her email is not listed either. Sorry I couldn't help further... hope you & your wife have a great time anyway at the vernissage!

Pandabonium said...

Thanks so much. Too bad.

The vernissage was fun. It was 3 hours by bus and train to get there, but we felt it was worth it. They had an excellent live jazz/latin quartet, drinks and food and of course, my friend's art.

Cheers.

Pandabonium said...

budgie - I have a post up on my blog about the vernissage if you'd like to see what it was like.

By the way some of your works remind me of some enamel on copper art that my parents had for many years.

Cheers.