Monday, September 18, 2006

Their Dreams

Last Friday night, my friend 3M (who is now just 2M, by the way) and I went to the Max Pavillion to see a performance "My Dream" by the China Disabled Persons' Performing Arts Troupe. The performing artists included blind musicians, deaf dancers, wheelchair-bound sopranos, and a dance soloist who lost both arms - and who was reportedly also a farmer offstage.

It was simply a beautiful performance, the slightly noisy audience (of what must have been more than 2000 people) notwithstanding.

I thought the dance performances were of professional standards. It was especially amazing considering that the dancers were unable to hear music, but managed to move in the most fluid and beautiful ways with the aid of only two assistants by the sides of the stage, who signalled the rhythm with arm movements.

A blind pianist played Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 (the Moonlight Sonata). 3M told me that it was possible to play without looking at the keyboard, once you started playing. But what difficulties must the pianist have gone through, trying to learn the piano without ever seeing the keyboard or score.

I tried to imagine the many more steps the disabled artists must have taken along the windy path, to overcome the difficulties in perfecting their art and to be proudly showcasing their talents on stage. In my mind, I see a blazing phoenix emerging from a treacherous sea of darkness and danger, undaunted by the multitude of forces trying to pin it back down under the murky waves.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try listening to... Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto 3rd movement i think... the recapitulation (recap of main theme) is truly triumphant, like rising above the dark and the repression.

EL Dragon said...

While I enjoyed listening to great classical works (need time and patience), I like simpler tune like 'Cavatina' from the movie "The Deer Hunter" as well. That melodious and soothing sound always cheer me up